Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Research 101 Video
Watch the Research 101 Video.
If you are a Great Falls College student who would like a certificate of completion for Research 101, please self-enroll in our new Student Success Course. You can complete the quiz and receive your certificate in D2L.
How to self-enroll in the Student Success course in Brightspace
- Log in to D2L Brightspace
- From the navbar, click Self-Registration.
- From the Self-Registration (Discover) homepage, do one of the following:
- Browse for the course by searching for “Student Success Course.”
- In the search bar, enter terms that match the course title and description. If you don't find what you're looking for, try using a different search term or click Browse All to view all courses.
Tip: From the search results, click Sort and choose a category to sort your search results. Available categories include: Most Relevant (default), Updated, New, and Already Enrolled.
- Select the course you want to enroll in.
- From the course details page, click Enroll in Course.
Upon completion of the Research 101 session, students will be able to:
- Identify the steps in the research process;
- Explore a topic and construct a search strategy using key concepts from their topic question, incorporating Boolean logic and wildcard searching;
- Conduct and refine a search in the Academic Search Complete database;
- Locate a full-text article from a scholarly or popular publication;
- Identify the basic parts of a citation and how to get started with citing a source.